Professor Seyed Mohammad Ghari S Fatemi
Professor Seyed Mohammad Ghari Seyed Fatemi spent thirteen years studying in the Ḥawza ʿIlmiyya of Qom between 1981 and 1994, completing his advanced studies (dars al-khārij) in legal theory and jurisprudence under Ayatollah Husayn Ali Montazeri, Ayatollah Sayyid Muhammad Ruhani, Ayatollah Javad Tabrizi, and Ayatollah Sayyid Ahmad Madadi, with whom he also studied rijāl. He studied Islamic philosophy under Ayatollah Abdallah Javadi Amuli. Alongside his ḥawza studies, he also completed an LLB (1984) and LLM (1991) in Public Law at the University of Tehran. He received his PhD from the Faculty of Law at the University of Manchester in 1999 under the supervision of Professor Asef Qureshi and Professor Norman Calder.
At the Al-Mahdi Institute, he has been a Senior Lecturer in Islamic Legal Theory since 1995. Since 2022, he is also the Head of the Department of Quranic Studies at AMI and organised a major conference on regulative verses in the Qurʾan (āyāt al-aḥkām) which shall be published in an edited volume. Alongside his role at AMI, he is also a member of the Academy of Sciences of Iran and a member of the Department of Biomedical Ethics at the Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences. He has previously taught in the Ḥawza ʿIlmiyya of Qom, at Mofid University (Qom), the University of Birmingham, was Professor of Comparative Law and Islamic Hermeneutics in the Faculty of Law at Shahid Beheshti University (Tehran), and was a Visiting Professor at the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies at the University of Exeter.
He has numerous publications to his name in Persian and English and has organised and presented at dozens of conferences in the fields of law, Islamic studies, and bioethics. He is the author of Human Rights in the Contemporary World (Ḥuqūq-i bashr dar jahān-i muʿāṣir). The first volume of this work (An Introduction to Theoretical Issues: Concepts, Foundations, Scope and Sources) was first published by the UNESCO Chair for Human Rights and Shahid Beheshti University and is now in its fifth edition. The second volume (Analytical Essays on Right and Liberties) is in its fourth edition, and a third volume (Islam and Human Rights) is forthcoming.
- Ḥuqūq-i bashr dar jahān-i muʿāṣir: daftar avval dar āmidī bar mabāḥis naẓariyya: mafāhīm, mabānī, qalamrū wa manābiʿ (Human Rights in the Contemporary World: (Vol 1) An Introduction to Theoretical Issues: Concepts, Foundations, Scope and Sources). 5th ed. Tehran: Naghāh-yi Muʿāṣir, 2018.
- Ḥuqūq-i bashr dar jahān-i muʿāṣir: daftar davvum: jastārhā-yi taḥlīlī dar ḥaqq-hā va āzādī-hā (Human Rights in the Contemporary World: (Vol: 2) Analytical Essays on Right and Liberties). 4th ed. Tehran: Naghāh-yi Muʿāṣir, 2018.
- With Mostafa Taherkhani. “Zhāk Darīdā va wāsāzī qānūn (Jacques Derrida and Deconstruction of Law).” Taḥqīqāt-i Ḥuqūqī 25 (100): 59-85.
- With Afsane Mirzazade. “Akhlāq-i faḍīlat ūdāymūnīā-yi va ḥuqūq-i fardī: bar rasī dīdghāh Douglas B. Rasmussen and Douglas J. Den Uyl (Eudaimonist Virtue Ethics and Individual Rights: Investigating the View of Douglas B. Rasmussen and Douglas J.Den Uyl).” Taḥqīqāt-i Ḥuqūqī 24 (96) (2022): 63-84.
- With Razieh Masoudi Lamraski. “Ẓarafiyyat-hā va kāstīḥa-yi ḥuqūq Īrān va fiqh Imāmiyyah dar shināsāy-yi naẓariyyah ḥaqq ba shahr bā nagāhī beh tajribah ḥuqūq Faransah ba tākīḍ ba qavāʿid mālikiyyat zamīn (The Capacities and Shortcomings of Iranian Law and Imamiyah Jurisprudence in Realization of the Doctrine of Right to City in Light of the French Legal Experience: With Emphasis on the Rules of Land Ownership).” Puzhūhish-i Taṭbīqī Ḥuqūq Islām va Gharb 3 (2021): 245-278.
- With Ali Bahraini. “Vīzhgīhā-yi insān az munẓir navīsandgān aʿlāmmiyyah jahānī ḥuqūq-i bashar (Human Being’s Characteristics from the Perspective of the Writers of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).” Faṣlnāmah-i Muṭālaʿāt-i Ḥuqūq-i ʿUmūmī Dānishghāh Tihrān 51 (2) (2021): 519-535.
- With Alimardan Azimi Fashi, Saber Niavarani, and Ali Akbar Gorji. “Mudākhalh-yi Dawlat dar ṣanʿat-i khūdarūsāzī bā tākīd bar muʾallafah-hā-yi mudīriyyat tavassʿah pāydār kushūrī (Government intervention in the automotive industry with emphasis on the components of sustainable development management).” Faṣlnāmah-i ʿIlmī – Puzhūhishī 3 (2021): 715-731.
- With Heidar Piri and Seyyed Hadi Mahmoudi. “Kārbast istidlāl qiyāsī dar niẓām-i ḥuqūq kīfarī bayn al-milalī: nabāyid-hā, bāyid-ha va shayid-hā (The Application of Analogical Reasoning in International Criminal Law System: Perhaps, Dos and Don’ts).” Puzūhish-i Ḥuqūq-i Kīfarī 9 (35) (2021): 139-169.
- With Maryam Haji Arab. “Qaḍiyyah-yi Mārshāl: hamsāzī ʿamīq-i “namūd” va “būd” bayn al-milalī (Marshall’s Case; the Deep Harmony of International “Phenomenon” and “Nomemon”),” Faṣlnāmah-i Muṭālaʿāt-i Ḥuqūq-i ʿUmūmī Dānishghāh Tihrān 50 (3) (2020): 1029-1054.
- With Sassan Modarress Sabzevary. “Muhājirān muḥīṭ zīstī dar ḥuqūq batn al-milal: az ibhām mafhūmī tā fuqḍān chārchūb ḥuqūqī (Environmentally-Displaced Persons in International Law: Conceptual Ambiguity and the Need for a Legal Framework).” Faṣlnāmah-i Pizhūhish-i Huqūq-i Umūmī 20 (61) (2019): 179-207.
- With Maryam Haji Arab. “Mudal Shmītī ḥuqūq bayn al-milal: khūdsāzghī mafhūmī va nābsandghī mabnāy-yi (The Schmittian model of international law; Conceptual Consistency and Justificatory inadequacy).” Taḥqīqāt-i Ḥuqūqī 22 (85) (2019): 61-96.
- With Heidar Piri and Sayed Hadi Mahmoudi. “Kashf qāʿidah-yi ḥuqūqī az ṭarīq qiyas tavassaṭ dīvān bayn al-milalī dādghastarī (Discovery of Legal Rule through Analogy by the International Court of Justice).” Faṣlnāmah-i Muṭālaʿāt-i Ḥuqūq-i ʿUmūmī Dānishghāh Tihrān 49 (4) (2019): 1149-1169.
- With Mehdi Moradi Berlian and Seyed Alireza Hosseini Beheshti. “Dawlat mumtaniʿ: khavānish intiqādī naẓariyyah imtināʿ-i dawlat-i mudarn-i Islāmī Ḥallāq (The Impossible State: A Critical Reading of Hallaq’s Theory on Impossibility of Islamic Modern State).” Faṣlnāmah-i Pizhūhish-i Huqūq-i ʿUmūmī 19 (58) (2018): 81-112.
- With Marzieh Ghobadi. “Bararsī rābiṭa miyān tarūrīsm va ḥaqq ḥayāt dar partū raviyyah qaḍāyī bayn al-milalī (The Relationship between Terrorism and the Right to Life in Light of the International Judicial Precedent).” Faṣlnāmah-i Tahqīqāt-i Siyāsī Bayn al-Milālī 36 (2018): 55-78.
- With Majid Nikouei. “Ḥuqūq ṭabīʿī va ḥaqq ṭabīʿī: taḥlīl mafhūmī va takāmul tārīkhī (From Natural Law to Natural Rights: Conceptual Analysis and Historical Evolution).” Faṣlnāmah-i Muṭālaʿāt-i Ḥuqūq-i ʿUmūmī Dānishghāh Tihrān 47 (3) (2017): 747-769.
- With Mirghasem Jafarzadeh and Erfan Omrani. “Mafhūm-i rūsh-hā-yi tashkhīṣ dar ḥuqūq ikhtirāʿāt dar purtū ḥaqq bar salāmat (Notion of Diagnostic Methods in Patent Law in the Light of Right to Health).” Faṣlnāmah-i Ḥuqūq-i Pizhashkī 10 (36) (2016): 151-176.
- “Dādgāh-i jadīd-i Urūpāy-yi ḥuqūq-i bashar (The New European Court of Human Rights),” Majallat Ḥuqūqī 25 (2016): 129-153.
- With Majid Nikouei. “Āndīshah Ibn Sīnā ilḥām bakhsh naẓariyyah ḥuqūq ṭabīʿī Āgwaynās (The Avicenna’s Contribution to the Natural Law Theory of Aquinas).” Puzhūhish Taṭbīqī Ḥuqūq Islām va Gharb 2 (2) (2015): 49-76.
- With Mir Sajjad Seyed Mousavi, Vahideh Zarea Gavgani, Mohammad Rasekh, Mohammad Hossein Zarei, and Ali Akbar Gorji. “Right to Health and Proportion of Right to Health Information in the Patient’s Right Charters.” International Journal of User-Driven Healthcare 3 (2) (2013): 59-68.
- “Taḥavval Guftamānī: ḥaqq va āzādī-hā-yi maʿlūlān dar āʾīnah-yi ḥuqūq-i bashar muʿāṣir (Change of Discourse: People with Disabilities and the Contemporary Human Rights),” Majallah-yi Puzūhish-hā-yi Ḥuqūqī 7 (13) (2008): 185-208.
- “Autonomy, Euthanasia and the Right to Die with Dignity: A Comparison of Kantian Ethics and Shiʿite Teachings.” Islam and Christian–Muslim Relations 18 (3) (2007): 345-353.
- “Autonomy and equal right to divorce with specific reference to Shiʿi fiqh and the Iranian legal system.” Islam and Christian–Muslim Relations 17 (3) (2006): 281-294.
- “Who is a Refugee? Comparison of a Misconstrued Concept in International Human Rights, Shi’i Fiqh and the Iranian Legal System.” The International Journal of Human Rights 9 (2) (2005): 183-223.
- “Egg and embryo implantation: a comparative study of Shiʿite teachings and Kantian ethics.” Islam and Christian–Muslim Relations 16 (3) (2005): 297-313.
- “Qalamrū ḥaqq-hā dar ḥuqūq bashar muʿāṣir: jahān shumūlī dar qibāl muṭlaq garāʾī (Scope of Rights: Universalism v. Absolutism).” Dawfaḍalnāmah-yi ʿIlmī Ḥuqūq-i Taṭbīqī 33 (2003): 5-20.
- “Ḥaqq taʿyīn sarnavasht va masʾalah niẓārāt bar intikhābāt: “niẓārāt taḍmīnī dar muqābal niẓārāt taḥdīdī.” (The Right to Self-Determination and Monitoring Public Election: Guaranteed Monitoring Against Restricted Monitoring),” Puzūhish-hā-yi Ḥuqūq-i Taṭbīqī 7 (4) (2003): 123-140.
- “Naẓariyyāt-i akhlāqī dar āyīnah-yi ḥuqūq (Moral Theories in the Mirror of Law).” Dawfaḍalnāmah-yi ʿIlmī Ḥuqūq-i Taṭbīqī 29 (2002): 23-28.