On Saturday 5th December 2015, the Al-Mahdi Institute held a CIMS meeting entitled ‘Who are the Ahlal Bayt? In light of Ahl al-Sunnah perspective’. The meeting began with the recitation of Quran by Shaykh Mahmood al-Fozi which was followed by the brief introduction of the guests and members of this significant academic session.The Sunni view was presented by Mufti Mohammad Farooq Alvi (A grand mufti and imam and khatib of the jami masjid Spark brook Birmingham) who presented his research in the stance of Ahl al-Sunnah pertaining to the Institution of Ahl al-Bayt. This presentation of thirty minutes was followed by a Q&A session and discussion, where all members and scholars from both sides participated vehemently and asked questions for the genuine understanding of the view-point of Ahl al-Sunnah regarding the institution of Ahl al-Bayt.
A summary of discussion points are:
– According to the madhhab of Ahl al-sunnah, Ahl al-Bayt is a great institution and source of guidance as expounded by the Quran and sunnah of the Holy Prophet
– The wives of the Holy Prophet are also the part of the institution of Ahl al-Bayt being as the direct misdaq of the address of the quran in sura al-Ahzab in the context as has been dealt with.
– The Holy Prophet also declared 4 people known as Ahl al-kisa as the members of Ahl al-Bayt in his numerous ahadith on the important occasions.
– According to some ahadith prohibiting sadaqah, some other people of Banu Hashim such as Al Abbas, Al Jafar, Al Aqil, Al Muttalib are also made the part of Ahl al-Bayt, but this view is not grounded within Ahl al-Sunnah.
– According to Ahl al-Sunnah, the members of Ahl al-Bayt are highly honoured but they are not Masum.
To view more images of the event please click here
To watch a video of the event please click here
This meeting was a continuation from the Shi’i perspective presented previously which can be viewed here.