On Saturday 23rd July, AMI hosted a Graduation ceremony to celebrate the achievements of the graduates of the Hawza Programme and to honour the contributions of selected individuals in the academic and humanitarian fields.
The ceremony was attended by over 120 guests comprising of students, faculty, scholars, academics, donors, and well-wishers of the Institute. Hosted by AMI Student; Adam Ramadhan, the ceremony included talks by AMI Director; Shaykh Arif Abdulhussain, who spoke about the Institute’s journey since its inception and how it overcame the difficulties posed by the pandemic and, Professor Iqbal Asaria (AMI Trustee & Faculty member) who spoke about the recent developments of AMI’s Hawza Programme and its exciting future.
This was followed by the presentation of the Graduate’s awards to:
- Shaykh Ahmad Kaouri who studied the programme online and is currently completing his MA in Islamic Studies at the University of Birmingham.
- Shaykh Sekou Ali Ndiaye who studied in-house and is also currently completing his MA in Islamic Studies at the University of Birmingham.
- Dr Munzela Raza who completed the programme online and is currently involved in the development of AMI’s Hawza Programme whilst completing her MA in Islamic Studies at the University of Birmingham.
- Syed Wajeeul Hasan Shah who completed the programme in-house and is currently working in AMI’s Research department.
The ceremony also honoured the achievements of two distinguished guests for their contributions to academia and humanitarian work:
- Professor Andrew Newman was awarded the ‘Ayatollah Amini Award for Academic Excellence’ for his outstanding contributions to the study of Islam.
- Dr Majid Mukadam MBE was awarded the ‘AMI Humanitarian Award’ in recognition of his outstanding humanitarian services in encouraging thousands of Asians to sign up for the organ donor register.
The ceremony concluded with a drinks reception in the AMI gardens, followed by a celebratory dinner in the AMI Dining hall.
Watch the full ceremony below:
To view more images of the ceremony, please click here.